How About Hair Masks?
Hair masks are believed to be more beneficial than regular conditioners. Unlike conditioners that stay only on the outer surface of the hair, the mask goes inside the hair cuticle to repair it. Applying hair masks regularly can help the hair look shiny while making it more manageable.
People with dry, wavy or curly hair that frizzes should go for masks that are intensely moisturizing. Here are some:
1. Coconut Oil Hair Mask
Gently massage warm organic coconut oil to your hair strands and scalp. Wrap a warm towel around your hair and leave it there for 20 minutes. Wash your hair with a mild shampoo.
Coconut Oil And Honey
We know coconut oil is a great hair moisturizer. So is honey. Mix one tablespoon of coconut oil and two tablespoons of honey. Apply the mixture on the hair strands. Wrap a warm towel around the hair and leave it there for about 20 minutes before you rinse your hair.
2. Almond Oil And Egg
An almond oil and egg mask is rated high as an ideal mask. While the oil gives the hair the much-needed moisturizing effect, the high protein content of the egg repairs damaged hair shafts. To make the mask, combine one-fourth cup of almond oil with one raw egg till you get a smooth mixture. Section your hair and apply the mask all over the scalp and through the length of your hair. Wait 40 minutes and then rinse off with a mild shampoo. Do this once a week.
3. Coconut Oil And Vitamin E
Another excellent mask is a coconut oil and vitamin E mask. Mix one part vitamin E oil with four parts cold-pressed coconut oil. Apply about 2–3 tablespoons of this oil all over your scalp and hair. Leave it for 40 minutes and then wash it off. The antioxidants in vitamin E fight free radicals and prevent damage while the penetrative properties of coconut oil give the hair and scalp a good deep conditioning—much needed to manage that frizz. You can do this once or twice a week for best results.
4. Avocado, Honey, And Olive Oil
Mash a ripe avocado and blend it with one tablespoon of honey and two tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil. Apply the mask on your hair strands and leave it for 20 minutes before you rinse it off.
5. Papaya And Yogurt
Mash some papaya with unsweetened yogurt and apply on your hair. Leave it there for 20-30 minutes before you wash it with a mild shampoo.
A Few Things To Remember
- Go for an apple cider vinegar rinse as it can help clarify and smooth hair cuticles. The acidity in the vinegar will seal the cuticles and flatten them.
- Aloe vera is good too as it can form a protective layer over hair strands, preventing moisture loss, and leaving the hair smooth and soft.
- Get a good haircut or trim your hair every two months as it is the best way to control the frizz.
- Do not wash your hair with only hot water. The heat can make the cuticles rise and frizz up.
- Avoid heat styling tools as heat can damage hair.
- Avoid cotton pillow covers as cotton can absorb the moisture in the hair and leave it all dry.